Teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedure that treats stained and discolored teeth. Teeth become yellow and stained over the years, due to plaque, tartar and trapped food particles. Your lifestyle also affects the luster of your teeth. People who have a higher intake of tobacco-based products, coffee, wine, and tea are more susceptible to developing dental stains.
Teeth whitening is a professional cosmetic dentistry procedure that breaks down the stains and provides a lustrous smile. A bleaching gel, rich in oxidizing agents, is applied on the topical surfaces of teeth. The gel oxidizes the stains and provides a whiter and brighter smile. Teeth whitening is a quick procedure and is completed in 60 minutes.
Why do teeth become stained?
- Your lifestyle impacts the state of your teeth. People who consume foods and beverages like coffee, tea, wine, and ketchup are more susceptible to stains and discoloration.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco increase the accumulation of plaque and tartar.
- Poor oral health and improper dental care regimen accelerate staining and discoloration.
- With time and increasing age, the enamel becomes thinner and naturally, the teeth become yellow.
- Your genes are also responsible for the color of your teeth. Some people genetically have yellow teeth due to thin enamel.
- Dental trauma due to injury discolors and stains your teeth.
- Regular intake of medicines and drugs stain the teeth.
How is teeth whitening performed?
The professional teeth whitening treatment requires two visits.
- First Visit: Dental cleaning, in-office whitening, and digital impressions
Prior to the teeth whitening treatment, a professional dental cleaning is performed. Plaque and tartar deposits are removed from the teeth to prepare their topical surfaces for the whitening procedure.
A rubber dam is then used to separate the teeth from the gum tissues. A whitening gel is painted on the topical surface of teeth and left for 30 minutes. A streak of blue light is used to stimulate the whitening gel and activate the oxidizing agents. The oxidizing agents break down the stains and whiten the teeth.
Your dentist will also take digital prints of your teeth to custom-create a whitening tray for you.
- Second Visit: Custom-fabricated whitening trays
Whitening trays are like mouthguards that snugly fit over your teeth and are used for whitening teeth at home. Generally, these trays are used for touch-ups in order to prolong the result of the treatment.
Our team at Damen Dental Associates specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of a variety of dental ailments. This includes dental exams, professional dental cleanings, root canal treatments or cosmetic enhancements like teeth whitening, Botox treatment, and teeth contouring. We also utilize the latest technology like digital X-rays to devise the best treatment plan for you. If you are looking for a smile makeover or full mouth reconstruction, visit Damen Dental Associates for the best dental experience.